*Courtesy Of The Bonesaw*
Check out the latest episode of “Manopera: A Wrestling Symposium,” where PWO’s own Nick joins Hosts Chris Butera and “Spaceman” Frank for a discussion of all things SummerSlam 2017 – big matches, frustrating angles, shark cages and all the beach balls you can handle.
– The opening video gave us a recap of ongoing storylines with talent we’d see on the episode – El Dragon Azteca Jr. wanting to prove his own legacy to Rey Mysterio Jr., Captain Vasquez’s new “Luchador” mission for Officer Reyes to go back into the Temple with a mask to continue his infiltration of Dario Cueto from the inside, Famous B’s proposal to guide Texano and Lucha Underground Champion Johnny Mundo’s goal to take The Mack (his newest challenger) to “Slam Town,” since we last found out that they’d go at it for the belt in an “All Night Long” bout.
Always Bet On Mack
– The opening video highlighted ongoing storylines – The Mack’s Battle Of The Bulls Tournament victory which guaranteed him a future Lucha Underground Championship match, Paul London got jiggy with his Rabbit Tribe, Sexy Star and Mariposa were destined to meet again and Kobra Moon also had Drago hostage in her Dragon Chamber Of Doom or something like that.
A Famous Opportunity
– The opening video recapped current storylines – Angelico returned to cast revenge against Lucha Underground Champion Johnny Mundo, only to have a restraining order against him. Cage and Texano battled in a Best-Of-Five Series to determine who’d get Dario Cueto’s “Ultimate Opportunity,” as Cage currently had a 2-1 lead. Jeremiah Crane wanted to get his hands on Mil Muertes, as a way to get back at Catrina, whom was a former love interest. Lastly and most interesting, after weeks of declining Vampiro’s advice, Prince Puma finally listened and paid Grave Consequences. In the afterlife, Vampiro called for him to follow.
– The opening video decently meshed together current storylines like the Battle Of The Bulls Tournament, Kobra Moon and her reptile tribe mates’ abduction of Drago and how Sexy Star earned her rematch against Lucha Underground Champion Johnny Mundo as she defeated “The Darewolf” PJ Black.
A Worldwide Documentary
– The opening video highlighted Angelico’s airborne return as he sought revenge against Lucha Underground Champion Johnny Mundo, who beat Sexy Star for the Title with help from his Worldwide Underground mates, one of which (“Darewolf” PJ Black) lost to Sexy Star after, which earned her a rematch (and bypass the Battle Of The Bulls Tournament) in a steel cage. Also shown was snippets of the Drago-Kobra Moon storyline.
The Battle Of The Bulls Commences
– The opening video recapped Lucha Underground Champion Johnny Mundo’s journey to become Champion, as he uncrowned Sexy Star with help from Taya and his Worldwide Underground “bandmates.” We were also shown the moment where Angelico returned and vowed revenge against Mundo, to which the Champ apparently had a restraining order put forth. The “Ultimate Opportunity” Best-Of-Five Series between Cage and Texano was also shown where last left off, Texano staved off elimination and was still down two matches to one.
– The opening video recapped Aztec Warfare III where we saw Sexy Star emerge the new Lucha Underground Champion. We were also reminded of Lucha Underground Gift Of The Gods Champion Johnny Mundo’s promise to “cash in” on whoever won the match (if it wasn’t him) the next week. Also shown was the “emotional” Dante Fox-Killshot program and The Black Lotus Triad’s attack on Pentagon Dark. As you’d imagine, this episode would revolve around this ensemble.
Aztec Warfare III
– Aztec Warfare time’s typically exciting in the Lucha Underground universe. The match, which lasts the whole episode and is the promotion’s pinfall/submission-only elimination equivalent of the Royal Rumble, came at the right time. While the first one set the standard and gave Prince Puma his breakthrough moment, the second one faltered as Lucha Underground Champion Matanza Cueto debuted and destroyed everybody. This time around, Matanza still stood as Champion, but had many contenders in his way. He was slated to start as #1 to defend his belt. The opening cutscene with Lucha Underground Gift Of The Gods Champion Johnny Mundo, Taya and Dario Cueto was a good set-up. Mundo’s narcissism was so strong that he had Taya tape a documentary. Mundo had #12 and bragged to Cueto that he’d win the belt and look to become the first-ever man to hold the LUG/GOTG Championships simultaneously. He revealed his backup plan was to cash in his LUG Championship shot next week. Cueto delivered his best “screw you” to that as he changed Mundo’s number to two and told him it was “Put Up Or Shut Up” time. Made sense for Cueto to do that since Mundo stood a big threat to his brother and we didn’t mind it happening to the rudo Mundo. It was funny when he told Taya to turn the camera off afterwards.