TNA Turning Point 2012 Reaction
By Nicholas Jason Lopez
So at the end of it all, Turning Point had no Title changes, but the Main Event picture for the next month became well-defined.
A.J. Styles took the ultimate fall and won’t get a chance to compete for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship until Bound For Glory 2013, while James Storm took the #1 Contender spot.
That said, an above-average card delivered an above-average show. Simple as that.
(Aired 11/11/2012 – Originally Published On Ringside Rundown)
– Samoa Joe and Magnus put on a lengthy match that had both men portrayed equally in the ring. Magnus kicked out of a Muscle Buster but was choked out. Joe continued to look ruthless as he once again plowed through Magnus. Magnus himself was more of a real threat this time around and thanks to Tazz’s “no shame” comment, lost nothing from the choke out.
– Eric Young/ODB continued their slick comedic chemistry in their match against Tara/Jesse in a high-spirited contest and came out victorious. It’d still be nice if Young showed up regularly on TV. We also have to wonder if there’s any more juice available to be squeezed out of this feud.
– Joey Ryan looked more competitive against Rob Van Dam than originally given credit. That said, RVD still came out on top in an okay bout that didn’t razzle nor dazzle. Could’ve seen the Morgan attack from a State away, but apparently RVD didn’t.
– The Chris Park/D.O.C. match was everything it was expected to be. Park got his “moment” after he intentionally stumbled around the ring like a lost soul. D.O.C. got the pinfall and teased a hammer attack on Park before Bully Ray came down to make the save. However, D.O.C. looked stupid as he took off with a weapon in hand that could’ve easily taken out Ray.
– Chavo Guerrero Jr./Hernandez and Kazarian/Christopher Daniels put on a satisfactory match that didn’t outlive its limited creative expectations. Kazarian/Daniels still deserve some real calendar time as Tag Champs, but perhaps we won’t get there until next month.
– The A.J. Styles/James Storm/Bobby Roode match delivered at an ecstatic pace that didn’t stop until the very end. Styles sold the stipulation greatly as he looked like the fat kid that got his cake taken away, but him not able to get a World Title shot shouldn’t hurt Styles too much as he has been nowhere near the World Title within 2012. There’s the ridiculous Dixie Carter affair/Claire Lynch storyline to thank for that. Kudos to TNA for the backstage interviews with all three men prior to the match as we got a well-rounded glimpse into each competitor’s situation.
– Kurt Angle and Devon had a regular wrestling match with no sense of urgency to avenge Sting on Angle’s part. You’d think he’d be restless to get his hands on Devon since his group took out his good buddy Sting. Plus, Devon tapping out made him look very weak.
– Jeff Hardy and Austin Aries put on a gritty, unique ladder match with plenty of complex spots. Thankfully, there was no cheap “both men have each belt” finish and Hardy edged out Aries and was simply better. A James Storm/Jeff Hardy Title match has great potential, but Aries won’t fade away, so he’ll most likely be thrown into the frenzy.
- TNA Television Championship – No Disqualification – Samoa Joe (Champion) def. Magnus via submission to retain
- Mixed Tag – ODB/Eric Young def. Tara/Jesse via pinfall
- TNA X-Division Championship – Rob Van Dam (Champion) def. Joey Ryan via pinfall to retain
- D.O.C. def. Joseph Park via pinfall
- TNA World Tag Team Championships – Chavo Guerrero/Hernandez (Champions) def. Bad Influence via pinfall to retain
- TNA World Heavyweight Championship #1 Contender’s Triple-Threat – If AJ Styles Gets Pinned, He Cannot Receive Another World Title Shot Until Bound For Glory 2013 – James Storm def. AJ Styles and Bobby Roode via pinfall
- Kurt Angle def. Devon via submission
- TNA World Heavyweight Championship – Ladder Match – Jeff Hardy (Champion) def. Austin Aries to retain
Posted on September 16, 2017, in Throwback PPVs, TNA and tagged A.J. Styles, Austin Aries, Bobby Roode, Bully Ray, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Chris Park, Christopher Daniels, Claire Lynch, D.O.C., Devon, Dixie Carter, Eric Young, Hernandez, James Storm, Jeff Hardy, Jesse, Joey Ryan, Kazarian, Kurt Angle, Magnus, Matt Morgan, ODB, Rob Van Dam, Samoa Joe, Tara, Tazz. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.