Notes In Observance – WCWC 10/15/16: Lethal Weapons
By Nicholas Jason Lopez
“Notes In Observance” features random thought sand analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
– Ah, West Coast Wrestling Connection. We applaud your progressive ways and slow build of new talent, but your tendency to overbook with cheap finishes hinders any momentum. You get a marquee match here and there, but it’s the general problem that stops us from completely loving you. Anyways, the atmosphere “works” because of the comedic-yet-informative commentary style by Morty Lipschitz/Kris Kloss. We’d see WCWC’s prime conflict come into play with the WCWC Pacific Northwest Championship match between Champion Adam Thornstowe and Grappler III. This was some great heel work, as we saw G3 come out and accuse Thornstowe of dodging him because of the rib injuries he had, even though him and The Wrecking Crew were solely responsible for it last week. G3 brought up his rematch clause and convinced Thornstowe to take him on. Classic red flag. Anyways, Thornstowe came out with bandaged ribs and sold that injury beautifully, as the heels (Jeremy Blanchard was a presence at ringside) zeroed in on it throughout the match. Eventually, the bandage fell apart and came off, shortly before the Champ sparked a late comeback. The finish saw Thornstowe kick Blanchard off the apron as he attempted to go for his frog splash and landed on G3’s loaded orthopedic boot to knock him out cold. Just like that, G3 was back as Champ and Thornstowe was on the outs again. A fine heel moment that’ll get G3 over to the moon, but we think this was a mistake. Thornstowe just got the belt after a long struggle and “overcame the hurdle” with the Title win. WCWC does this too much, where they build up the face challengers to finally beat the heel Champions and then they lose the belt quicker than they won it. Sometimes, it makes us even forget who the Champions are because it happens so frequently. Let’s hope all isn’t lost on Thornstowe, who has impressed us lately.
– The Matt Striker-“Adrenaline” Adrian Matthews match was an interesting idea on paper. You had Striker’s “Am I really a wrestler?” gimmick that took Matthews lightly, while the energetic Matthews warned him not to do so. Some decent ring work, but not enough time to be anything memorable. Striker’s overconfidence cost him as he teased a pinfall cover after a pedigree which only got him a two-count when he finally did it. Matthews countered with the Falcon Arrow to get the win. The post-match promo from Striker helped put Matthews over as a young, hungry talent who’d “help keep the lights on.” He also noted that he hasn’t been kicked in the mouth that hard since John Cena in WWE. Apparently, he lost a tooth. Good idea, but we were apprehensive throughout his whole promo because of his heel status and we waited for a cheap attack. We were pleasantly surprised that it didn’t come.
– The backstage promo from WCWC Tag team Champions The Bonus Boyz and Kate Carney was a smart idea to try to have the heels back out of the Unsanctioned Weapons main event that would pit them against Gangrel/Sinn Bodhi. Their argument was that it was unsanctioned, so that meant that they wouldn’t get paid. The “Bonus Boyz” don’t work without their “Bonus.” It also created a hook that made us curious if the match would even happen without them and it stuck to their characters.
– The “Rock God” Ricky Gibson/JJ Garrett-Midnight Marvels match felt like filler besides for the “storyline” that saw Mr. Tubbs & Co. attempt to silence the babyface superheroes with a fly swatter. Some good action and a fast pace kept us interested, straight through to the finish, as Damien Drake got revenge on Tubbs with his own swatter, but hat set him up to fall for the Power Ballad. We like the Garrett/Gibson pair, but will they take off?
– The Gangrel/Sinn Bodhi backstage promo hyped the main event, as Bodhi expressed it was about pure, sweet revenge for when he was attacked with a crowbar. He was truly excited about it to the point where he screamed, “Weapons!” various times. Gangrel was more tame, but promised plenty of “rain and pain.” Inspirational stuff right there.
– The Ethan HD-Mikey O’Shea match saw Ethan eager to take his anger over the loss of his Title out on O’Shea. You see, the WCWC Legacy Championship was “held up” by management because of the cheap way Ethan beat Eric Right last week. With next week’s main event booked to be a ladder match for the belt where Kate Carney would be banned form ringside, they needed to find a way to keep Ethan strong. This was where that happened, but not completely at O’Shea’s expense, who showcased his power early on. The Ethan/Carney duo was too much to overcome and some glitter by Carney and the Blackout by Ethan spelled O’Shea’s end. Cheap, but it works here.
– The Unsanctioned Weapons main event match between BB and Gangrel/Bodhi was entertaining as far as the “hardcore style” can get at least at the Jackson Armory. We were initially disappointed that BB/Carney’s protests to compete went away as soon as Gangrel/Bodhi came out and attacked with their weapons. Wouldn’t the heels try to back away or get out of it? Once we got past that, we “settled in” as we saw an array of weapons that ranged from ironing boards and trash cans to silly string and a toilet plunger. Yup, plenty of random stuff as they mixed comedy and violence into one delicious, spicy plate. Carney was subdued by Gangrel as her attempt to handcuff him backfired and she ended up handcuffed to the rope. The faces countered another crowbar attempt by BB as they double-teamed with a Windex spray/crowbar clothesline to beat the Champs. It was what we expected and actually a little fun. Where does this leave things for next week though? Guess we’ll see.
- WCWC Pacific Northwest Championship – Grappler III (w/Jeremy Blanchard) def. Adam Thornstowe (Champion) via pinfall to regain Title
- “Adrenaline” Adrian Matthews def. Matt Striker via pinfall
- “The Rock God” Ricky Gibson/JJ Garrett (w/Mr. Tubbs) def. The Midnight Marvels via pinfall
- Ethan HD (w/Kate Carney) def. Mikey O’Shea via pinfall
- Unsanctioned Weapons Match – Gangrel/Sinn Bodhi def. The Bonus Boyz (w/Kate Carney) via pinfall
Posted on December 10, 2016, in Misc, West Coast Wrestling Connection and tagged Adam Thornstowe, Adrian Matthews, Ethan HD, Gangrel, Grappler III, Jeremy Blanchard, JJ Garrett, Kate Carney, Kris Kloss, Matt Striker, Mikey O'Shea, Morty Lipschitz, Mr. Tubbs, Ricky Gibson, Sinn Bodhi, The Bonus Boyz, The Midnight Marvels, West Coast Wrestling Connection. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.