Notes In Observance – Lucha Underground 7/13/16: Ultima Lucha Dos Part II
By Nicholas Jason Lopez
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
Ultima Lucha Dos Part II
– We were in week two of Ultima Lucha Dos‘ three-week spectacle, as the opening video showed us that here we’d see Night Claw’s impending debut and a Death match between Mil Muertes and King Cuerno, which was demanded by Catrina after Cuerno cheated his way to pin Muertes upon their last bout.
– The Seven-Way Elimination match for the Lucha Underground Gift Of The Gods Championship between Daga, Sinestro De La Muerte, Mariposa, Marty “The Moth” Martinez, Sexy Star, Killshot and Night Claw was a great, fast-paced opener to the episode. The match clumped together a couple feuds (Killshot-Moth, Sexy Star-Mariposa/Moth) with Night Claw’s debut and Kobra Moon’s continued infatuation with Daga. This was all good though as far as the action. SDLM honestly stood no chance, so thankfully, he was the first to go thanks to Claw. Daga put in a strong showing, but was eliminated by Claw next with a nice Frankensteiner/Phoenix Splash combination. On top of his eliminations of the first two decisions, Claw solidified himself with the Believers with an unbelievable (see what we did there?) moonsault off the roof of Dario Cueto’s office. Killshot/Claw had a great exchange that we wish lasted longer before Killshot eliminated him with his finisher. It was fitting that it’d come down to these two feuds, before Mariposa/Moth double-teamed Killshot to take him out, which brought us to the classic saga with Sexy Star once more. Love it. The pinfall that eliminated Mariposa was well-done, as Marty accidentally knocked her out cold. It was down to Sexy Star and The Moth. It could’ve gone either way, given the assumption that Pentagon Jr. is the one that takes down Lucha Undergound Champion Matanza Cueto. A Sexy Star-Pentagon match would intrigue, yet Moth-Pentagon wouldn’t be unheard of either. They opted for the more heroic story, as we saw Sexy Star overcome her biggest obstacle and after a couple minutes, had Moth tap out within reach of the ropes. That went well. Plus, even better was that this was Sexy Star’s first taste of LUG gold.
– Everybody’s favorite underground cops were back, as we saw with the cutscene with Officer Ryan, Officer Reyes and Mr. Cisco. This hyped what we’d see to close out the show, but it was revealed that Cisco would undergo some kind of spy mission for them to get cleared of all his charges, while Cisco was concerned that he’d get killed.
– In an effort to top previous hardcore bouts in the Temple, the Death match between Cuerno and Muertes was a different entity entirely, in a good way of course. There was a good pace with a violent atmosphere, as they both tore up the Temple seemingly from the inside out. They took down rows of seats, went into the bleachers and even in the stage where the live band plays. This was uncharted territory and the people loved every second of it, even as they scurried for cover often. It was mainly back-and-forth to a point when Cuerno grabbed Catrina by the throat, which enraged Muertes to finish him off as he put him through four tables separately, hit him with a crowbar and then a Tombstone Piledriver. Well, hot damn. We liked that this seemed to be a way to get Muertes over as a face of sorts in deliverance of that precious violence and it also gave Muertes the edge in the feud. Where does Muertes go from here? Who knows?
– To add fuel to the LUG Championship match fire, we saw Vampiro throw the rest of his medication into the garbage as he left commentary to go “prepare his student.” Oh snap.
– The final cutscene in Cueto’s office with him and Cisco was a great cliffhanger, as we saw Cisco go through with “the mission,” revealed to be to get information from Cueto as Officers Ryan/Reyes listened in on a wire. Eventually, Cueto discovered the wire and destroyed the microphone before he shockingly murdered Cisco with the symbolistic red bull and picked up the phone with a bloody hand to tell the person on the other line, “It’s time.” Double oh snap. Might suck for those that liked Cisco in the ring as he developed a following with the fans during the second season, but now Cueto has murdered two-thirds of The Crew. Let that settle in. Either way, things were set up well for the next week’s two-hour finale.
- Lucha Underground Gift Of The Gods Championship – Seven-Way Elimination – Sexy Star def. Mariposa, Marty “The Moth” Martinez, Daga, Killshot, Night Claw and Sinestro De La Muerte to become new Champion
- Death Match – Mil Muertes (w/Catrina) def. King Cuerno via pinfall
Posted on August 13, 2016, in Lucha Underground and tagged Catrina, Daga, Dario Cueto, Killshot, King Cuerno, Kobra Moon, Mariposa, Marty Martinez, Matt Striker, Mil Muertes, Mr. Cisco, Night Claw, Officer Reyes, Officer Ryan, Sexy Star, Sinestro De La Muerte, Ultima Lucha Dos, Vampiro. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.