Notes In Observance – WWE NXT 3/30/16: Ready For A Takeover
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
Ready For A Takeover
– The American Alpha-Corey Hollis/John Skyler was a logical squash for AA to hit their signature moves en route to their biggest match to date at TakeOver: Dallas when they’d fight for the NXT Tag Team Championship against Champions The Revival, who watched attentively backstage. Good energy from the Title challengers here.
– NXT Champion Finn Balor’s sit-down interview hyped the match with Samoa Joe, as he said Joe was obsessed with all the wrong things while he himself was obsessed with being the best and it was why he was Champion, putting over how he survived Joe at TakeOver: London and had been the one to beat Kevin Owens for the Title. He was calm and confident. Good stuff.
– The Baron Corbin-Michael Cuellari match was a logical squash to build up Corbin for the showdown with Austin Aries at TakeOver. This was Corbin beating up an Indy rookie, previewing a dynamic that’d come two days later. Deep Six was the decisive finish here. He hit End Of Days after. Bam.
– Clever idea to build credibility to Shinsuke Nakamura with footage from Revolution Pro and insight from talent who’ve roamed the globe like AJ Styles, Balor and Kevin Owens. Good god. So good.
– Another No Way Jose hype video aired. Fandango’s Uncle?
– The Revival-Tucker Knight/Steve Cutler match was a logical squash accompanied with a well-timed hype video to put over the Champs’ old-school, strike-happy offensive arsenal. Tucker had a good showing in the minute he got to display offense. At 325 pounds, he’s big, but he was the one who got suckered into their finisher. Match over. AA also watched backstage on a monitor.
– Bull Dempsey’s backstage promo hyped up his match with Joe and called him a bully and he wouldn’t let that happen. At least he was determined and had a tease he could be the Dempsey of old, though he’s since long gone, so who cares?
– The Apollo Crews-Alex Riley match was short and sweet, with Crews winning via cross powerbomb. Riley showed some decent intensity as Corey Graves talked up how different Riley had been now. After the bell, Elias Samson played the guitar and sang about how he’d end Crews. Crews challenged him to come in the ring, but Samson backed away. This feud doesn’t come across as personal, just something thrown together. Don’t see what both guys benefit from it.
– Corbin’s backstage promo taunted Aries’ prior promo that insulted him. He threatened to make him lose and send him back to “wowing crowds of 50” while he was taking on NXT’s big crowds. Good push of Corbin on this show.
– Well-done hype video for the NXT Women’s Championship feud that mixed both Bayley’s Champion prominence with Asuka’s rise with her deadly stiff kicks and strikes. It was a storm coming for the longest time. Liked how the thoughts of her peers matched the storylines – Sasha Banks and Lynch pulled for Bayley while Emma/Dana Brooke sold Asuka as a big threat.
– Sami Zayn’s sit-down promo hyped up the big match with Nakamura as an opportunity for both of them. He reminded us of what he did with Cesaro three years ago and was out to defend his NXT legacy and wouldn’t let Nakamura build his own legacy at his expense. Great line there.
– The Joe-Dempsey main event was what we all expected. Dempsey had an intense demeanor, but Joe was relentless once he got in control. Joe won with the Coquina Clutch but had to be restrained to release the hold. The post-match angle was perfectly booked, as Balor came out to confront Joe and they ended up brawling through the barricade, ending with Joe throwing Balor over the announce table onto Graves, which Balor followed by jumping off said table onto Joe. The biggest feud got hot when it needed to.
- American Alpha def. Corey Hollis/John Skyler via pinfall
- Baron Corbin def. Michael Cuellari via pinfall
- The Revival def. Tucker Knight/Steve Cutler via pinfall
- Apollo Crews def. Alex Riley via pinfall
- Samoa Joe def. Bull Dempsey via submission
Posted on April 9, 2016, in NXT, WWE and tagged Alex Riley, American Alpha, Apollo Crews, Asuka, Baron Corbin, Bayley, Becky Lynch, Bull Dempsey, Corey Graves, Corey Hollis, Dana Brooke, Elias Samson, Emma, Finn Balor, John Skyler, Michael Cuellari, Sami Zayn, Samoa Joe, Sasha Banks, Shinsuke Nakamura, Steve Cutler, TakeOver: Dallas, The Revival, Tom Phillips, Tucker Knight, William Regal. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.