Notes In Observance – WWE SmackDown 12/31/15: New Year’s Revolutions
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
New Year’s Revolutions
– The opening video highlighted Vince McMahon getting arrested by the New York Police Department after WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns shoved him to the ground when he made semi-racist remarks about how he exploited his older relatives for money. Reigns saved John Cena from a League Of Nations beatdown when McMahon suddenly dropped the bomb that he’d defend his Title on the following week with himself as the special guest referee.
– The New Day has an actual theme montage now that is rainbow and unicorniffic. They cut a promo related to New Year’s Day being a special day but they didn’t need resolutions because they were perfect and complained again about not getting a Slammy. Lucha Dragons came out. Kalisto said the Slammys were for the people while New Day could enjoy each other. Sin Cara said they’d challenge all three to a match while his arm was in a sling. New Day found it funny, while LD said they had backup, which cued The Dudley Boyz, who came out with a graffitied table that read “Happy New Year.” The Six-Man Tag that followed was a fun bout that filled more time with some back-and-forth dose of shenanigans and athletics. The finish was key since Kalisto pinned Woods with the Salida Del Sol. Post-match saw Woods take a Top-Rope Powerbomb through the table via Bubba Ray.
– The Goldust-Tyler Breeze match was average at best, but the result was logical thankfully, as Breeze won by leaning on the ropes. Post-match saw Summer announce that they’d go their separate ways and leave the year with “one last gorgeous selfie.” Um… Huh? Actually kind of liked Summer in this role. The “Superficial 21st Century Couple” was getting into rhythm before this, but maybe they have bigger plans for Breeze going forward. Let’s hope.
– Bo Dallas in a top hat and New Year’s sash walked backstage and approached Curtis Axel, who he told had a bad year. Axel said he was never eliminated from the 2015 Royal Rumble match and would do it again this year. Dallas walked down and saw Dolph Ziggler, who insulted him being dressed like the New Year’s baby. Dallas made an accurate remark about Ziggler saying jokes that weren’t funny. Ziggler mentioned that Dallas should be ready for his match against him later on and condescendingly said he’d see him out there. Sort of heelish stuff from Ziggler, but we think he needs the edge.
– The Usos-Braun Strowman/Luke Harper tag match was formulaic but passable with Strowman literally squashing away The Usos’ momentum. Boring finish though.
– The Naomi/Tamina-Brie Bella/Alicia Fox tag match were Divas Revolution remnants without its relevant players, since Sasha Banks wasn’t present. Filler action that ended with Brie winning with a Faceplate. Next.
– The Dallas-Ziggler match was what you’d expect with Dallas on some offense, Lawler making bad jokes on commentary and Ziggler winning with a Superkick, ending Dallas’ hopes of a third victory lap.
– The Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose-Sheamus/Kevin Owens main event tag was an easy way to fill time with a decent back-and-forth bout that furthered two feuds. The ending was predictable with Owens causing a DQ with a Reigns low blow using the turnbuckle. The idea was that the heels would touch up Reigns for Monday, but Reigns Superman Punched Owens before he could Powerbomb Ambrose through the announce table and then he took out Sheamus.
- Kalisto (w/Sin Cara)/The Dudley Boyz def. The New Day via pinfall
- Tyler Breeze (w/Summer Rae) def. Goldust via pinfall
- Braun Strowman/Luke Harper (w/Erick Rowan) def. The Usos via pinfall
- Brie Bella/Alicia Fox def. Naomi/Tamina via pinfall
- Dolph Ziggler def. Bo Dallas via pinfall
- Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose def. Kevin Owens/Sheamus via DQ
Posted on January 9, 2016, in WWE and tagged Alicia Fox, Bo Dallas, Booker T, Braun Strowman, Brie Bella, Curtis Axel, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Erick Rowan, Goldust, Jerry Lawler, Kalisto, Kevin Owens, Luke Harper, Naomi, Rich Brennan, Roman Reigns, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Summer Rae, Tamina, The Dudley Boyz, The Lucha Dragons, The New Day, The Usos, Tyler Breeze. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.