Notes In Observance – WWE Smackdown 12/22/15: Holiday Hijinks
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
– The WWE World Tag Team Championships match between the Champions, The New Day and The Lucha Dragons started with another New Day promo that centered around renamed Christmas carols. The match involved Kofi Kingston/Big E with Xavier Woods at ringside. Great effort from everyone here in perhaps their best bout to date. The finish was Woods providing enough distraction to help Big E hit the Big Ending. Sin Cara appeared to take a nasty face bump on a suicide dive which will be sure to grace the latest Botchamania reel. Hope he’s okay. Lucha Dragons were solid in the ring and their comeback was believable, but we figured New Day was going over.
– The backstage Santino Marella segment was him clamoring over a Christmas tree, placing a red star above it, which was yanked down by a red glove. Stardust, anyone?
– WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean Ambrose’s backstage promo put over how he took abuse in recent matches and would defend against Kevin Owens and Dolph Ziggler later and he wouldn’t stop until the dust settled and he remained Champion. Good promo.
– The Eight-Man Tag match between The Wyatt Family and The Dudley Boyz/Ryback/Kane was another okay match where the Wyatts again dominated and Wyatt hit Sister Abigail on Bubba Ray for the pinfall. Where is this program going? Are they grooming The Wyatts for the new year?
– A Christmas party segment had Tyler Breeze/Summer Rae “peace out” while Marella wondered what happened to his party. Stardust/The Ascension appeared and denounced the holiday setting. Neville vowed to defend Marella because “you never mess with another man’s decorations.” Yes, he really said that. The Ascension made fun of Neville and Titus O’Neil showed up. Stardust made a tag match where his Ascension would take on Neville/O’Neil to “take back Christmas” or some crap like that. So bad.
– The WWE United States Champion Alberto Del Rio/Rusev -Usos match followed up the backstage League Of Nations ambush angle from Raw. Average match that ended with Del Rio hitting his top rope finisher and their goofy breaking news theme song played after, as LON used their numbers game to get the win. Sheamus looks so stupid with that “5:15” shirt now. Post-match saw Roman Reigns stop Sheamus from hitting a Brogue Kick on his cousins and he beat up the rest of LON.
– The tag match between The Ascension and Neville/O’Neil was formulaic holiday filler that allowed Neville to win with the Red Arrow as commentary brandished him as the Breakout Star of the Year.
– Dolph Ziggler’s backstage promo talked about how he was entrenched in war and was going about it all wrong and a win would put him right back on top and 2016 would be his year. His character feels so stale despite the standout performances. He needs to turn badly.
– The WWE Divas Champion Charlotte-Brie Bella match involved Becky Lynch on commentary, who talked of Charlotte being like her sister though they didn’t see eye-to-eye sometime. Lynch spoke well on commentary about how she did everything in her career on her own to this point, not directly answering if winning was more important than her friendship with Charlotte. Team BAD came down dressed in holiday attire. Naomi poured egg nog on Lynch, leading to a brief brawl only for Lynch get attacked by the other two. Charlotte was more concerned with winning than helping Lynch and only laughed at Lynch when she saw her. This was a little bit more obvious with the storyline but a better way of presenting it.
– Owens’ backstage promo had him obsess over the IC Title and the Slammy award that he didn’t own. Good, intense and confident promo. Vintage KO.
– The Triple-Threat WWE Intercontinental Championship main event between Ambrose, Owens and Ziggler was a satisfactory conclusion, giving us a few silly moments on the stage with holiday props, but got serious once it got back to the ring. The Zig-Zag/Dirty Deeds finisher spot was well-received on TV and we also liked how Ziggler was the fall guy for Dirty Deeds at the end. Is this war truly over? Who knows, but it made for good TV.
- WWE World Tag Team Championships – Big E/Kofi Kingston (w/Xavier Woods) (Champions) def. The Lucha Dragons via pinfall to retain
- Eight-Man Tag – The Wyatt Family def. The Dudley Boyz/Ryback/Kane via pinfall
- Alberto Del Rio/Rusev (w/King Barrett, Sheamus) def. The Usos via pinfall
- Neville/Titus O’Neil (w/Santino Marella) def. The Ascension (w/Stardust) via pinfall
- Charlotte def. Brie Bella via submission
- WWE Intercontinental Championship – Triple-Threat – Dean Ambrose (Champion) def. Kevin Owens and Dolph Ziggler via pinfall to retain
Posted on December 27, 2015, in WWE and tagged Adam Rose, Alberto Del Rio, Becky Lynch, Big E, Booker T, Brie Bella, Charlotte, Damien Sandow, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Jerry Lawler, Kane, Kevin Owens, King Barrett, Kofi Kingston, Michael Cole, Neville, Renee Young, Rusev, Ryback, Santino Marella, Sheamus, Stardust, Summer Rae, Team BAD, The Ascension, The Dudley Boyz, The League Of Nations, The Lucha Dragons, The New Day, The Wyatt Family, Titus O'Neil, Tyler Breeze, Xavier Woods. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.