Notes In Observance – WWE Smackdown 11/12/15: Overfed
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
– With no rush, it was dark, creepy in-ring promo time from The Wyatt Family as they looked to follow up on getting laid out by Undertaker/Kane on Raw, which we still didn’t agree with. Liked that each member had the chance to talk, though what they said held no substance. Why are we supposed to believe anything Bray Wyatt says about Undertaker and Kane living inside him when they just annihilated him three days before? With it being Survivor Series, this was the time for a four-on-four match. The idea of Taker/Kane against two Wyatt Family members is dumb. The Wyatt Family is a force together. Why not use that to their advantage?
– Fandangoing is still a thing in 2015 thanks to the UK faithful. That was all for naught when it came to him taking on Strowman in the heel’s first Smackdown match. Strowman had his members at ringside too. It didn’t take long for it to end.
– The WWE World Heavyweight Championship Tournament First Round match between Neville and King Barrett had the benefit of a Britain battleground. Neville’s pre-taped promo put over the tournament wanting to be Champion and how Barrett was embarrassed by an athlete on Raw and would finish what he started. With the winner facing WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens on the following week’s Raw, it seemed like Neville was favorite to win. The match was good with plenty of time to let the guys both shine in separate parts, with it looking like it’d go either way, but a tremendous build up to the Red Arrow.
– The Usos’ backstage promo put over their match with Rowan/Harper and they put their opponents over as tough and nasty. Jimmy talked about getting laid out by Strowman while Jey looked for revenge. Sounded about right.
– The WWE World Heavyweight Championship Tournament First-Round match between Ryback and Kalisto seemed like an obvious favorite for Ryback to advance as a contender. Kalisto’s pre-match promo told of his respect for Ryback but not to underestimate this underdog. Good promo skills, almost like Rey Mysterio. Ryback’s pre-match promo had him in a serious mood as he prepared for things. This felt like a Ryback squash, but Kalisto hung in there through everything and pulled off his finisher, which erupted the crowd. Major upset? Indeed. Ryback looked angry, but offered his hand. Textbook way to finally make the tournament feel unpredictable.
– The WWE World Heavyweight Championship Tournament First-Round match between WWE United States Champion Alberto Del Rio and Stardust started with the heels cutting a senseless promo onstage that insulted the crowd for being dividers and haters. Stardust had a pre-match promo picking on Del Rio’a intentions and that he himself was a dark house running towards the Championship. Not that convincing. The match was what you’d expect it, with Del Rio getting most of the offense en route to an easy win. Del Rio faces Kalisto in the second round now.
– Roman Reigns’ backstage promo hyped his match against Cesaro in the Quarterfinals, as he put over his struggle in the “big mountain climb” of chasing the Title. Can’t argue with that and he called Cesaro an avalanche but it wouldn’t stop him. He also talked about turning down Triple H’s offer to have a better chance in the tourney and he stood by it, saying he wasn’t a sellout.
– The Usos-Rowan/Harper main event match was a believable clash of the dastardly bearded weirded against the energetic Samoans. The match was back and forth, but they did the smart thing by giving it a DQ finish when the Wyatts owned it all. Also liked that Undertaker came on the TitanTron, building towards Raw.
- Braun Strowman (w/Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan, Luke Harper) def. Fandango via pinfall
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship Tournament – First Round – Neville def. King Barrett via pinfall to advance
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship Tournament – First Round – Kalisto def. Ryback via pinfall to advance
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship Tournament – First Round – Alberto Del Rio (w/Zeb Colter) def. Stardust via pinfall to advance
- The Usos def. Erick Rowan/Luke Harper (w/Bray Wyatt, Braun Strowman) via DQ
Posted on November 21, 2015, in WWE and tagged Alberto Del Rio, Booker T, Braun Strowman, Bray Wyatt, Erick Rowan, Fandango, Jerry Lawler, Kalisto, King Barrett, Luke Harper, Neville, Rich Brennan, Roman Reigns, Ryback, Stardust, The Undertaker, The Usos, The Wyatt Family, WWE World Heavyweight Championship Tournament, Zeb Colter. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.