Notes In Observance – WWE NXT 11/18/15: A Lesson In Respect
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
A Lesson In Respect
– The Carmella-Nia Jax match was about Jax having her most tested opponent to date and seeing how she’d fare out. Carmella had the crowd’s support and mounted some offense, but the end result was the same. Didn’t do much to convince us that Jax has more depth than what we’ve already seen.
– The Alexa Bliss/Blake/Murphy backstage promo segment saw Bliss call out NXT Women’s Champion Bayley for having what she wanted, despite earning her own respect at Takeover: Respect. Bliss made it clear it was the Title she was after and this might’ve been her best promo to date. The twist with the Referee telling Blake/Murphy they were banned from ringside for the match added a cool wrinkle that likely gave away the result right there. Bliss showed confidence though in saying she’d do it without them.
– The Jason Jordan/Chad Gable-Ascension match was designed to be a bout where Jordan/Gable beat an established team. It’s amazing how over Ascension is at Full Sail, yet it doesn’t carry to the main roster. The match featured some excellent maneuvers and momentum shifts. The crowd was into it too with switching chants for both teams. Gable/Jordan can pull a great match out of anybody and obviously, the win propelled them further.
– Bayley’s backstage promo hyped the Bliss match, saying it wasn’t easy holding on to the Title but she’d give Bliss the wrestling lesson of her life. Bayley mentioned three of the “horsewomen” being “up there,” but she was still down there because she was NXT Women’s Champion. Puts the Title’s credibility over more than anything.
– The Emma-Mary Kate match was another enhancement contest to build “Evil Emma” for Asuka, which she took and ran away with. Emma is great at looking vicious and remorseless. The submission finish looked good too.
– Baron Corbin’s promo towards Apollo Crews saw him release harsh words over last week’s attacks and laid a challenge for TakeOver: London. Nice tone and not too long. He’s got a Kane-esque feel to his promos.
– The NXT Tag Team Champions Dash Wilder/Scott Dawson-Cory Hollis/John Skyler match was an obvious squash to showcase the new Champs in action. Interesting fact by Byron Saxton that all four men faced off once before NXT. Interesting that The Vaudevillains also get their rematch next week and not at TakeOver: London. Good match that showed off the heels’ methodical side. That double-team finisher looked brutal.
– Asuka’s backstage promo was interrupted by Dana Brooke, who said she was hurt by getting pat on the head and challenged her to a rematch. Asuka lifted up her mask and said yes. Emma came up behind Brooke and asked “if she bought it.” Brooke said she did, hook, line and sinker. Interesting to see what they have planned then.
– It was made official that the NXT Championship would be on the line at TakeOver: London between NXT Champion Finn Balor and Samoa Joe. Joe’s promo mentioned that General Manager William Regal told him not to appear on this show out of fear of Balor’s retaliation, but claimed it was for Balor’s protection. He hyped a contract signing in seven days. Good stuff.
– The NXT Women’s Championship match between Bayley and Bliss wasn’t terrible. Bayley carried Bliss to a respectable effort, but it never felt like the Title was in jeopardy and thus, wasn’t as good as it could’ve been. Eva Marie came out afterwards though to a shower of boos that became almost deafening at one point. Her attempts to quiet the crowd were pretty poor – “Um okay, be quiet.” Eva told her she’d be fighting for the Divas Championship next week. Good god, don’t let her win. Way too soon for this.
- Nia Jax def. Carmella via pinfall
- Jason Jordan/Chad Gable def. The Ascension via pinfall
- Emma def. Mary Kate via submission
- Dash Wilder/Scott Dawson def. John Skyler/Cory Hollis via pinfall
- NXT Women’s Championship – Bayley (Champion) def. Alexa Bliss via pinfall to retain
Posted on November 21, 2015, in NXT, WWE and tagged Alexa Bliss, Asuka, Baron Corbin, Bayley, Blake, Byron Saxton, Carmella, Chad Gable, Corey Graves, Corey Hollis, Dana Brooke, Dash Wilder, Emma, Eva Marie, Jason Jordan, John Skyler, Mary Kate, Murphy, Nia Jax, Rich Brennan, Samoa Joe, Scott Dawson, The Ascension. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.