Notes In Observance – WWE Smackdown 8/20/15: Last Stop Before Brooklyn
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
Last Stop Before Brooklyn
– The WWE Intercontinental Champion Ryback-Big Show match carried off of Raw when Show turned down a fight with Ryback when he challenged him to step into the ring after defeating The Miz. Interesting that Miz isn’t on commentary in this instance, not even remotely involved in the finish either. There were some hard hits before culminating in a clothesline spot that took both men into the barricade, knocking out the camera feed too, for a cool, maybe unplanned effect, but also leaning for the always-lame double countout finish. Either way, we knew not much would happen because of the triple threat at SummerSlam, but at least it was a different way to start the show off.
– The “Six-Being Tag Match” between The New Day and Los Matadores/El Torito also carried off the conflicts between El Torito and Xavier Woods from Raw. Hard to ignore the botched 6-1-9 spot by Torito. Why do they treat him as if he’s a a real bull? Sigh. The match itself was meh but at least New Day kept the momentum going and got heat out of it by squashing Torito for the pinfall. Their dancing after the match also didn’t fail to disappoint us. What kind of motions was Kofi Kingston doing there? Window-washing?
– The Dolph Ziggler/Lana in-ring promo expressed Ziggler’s excitement to be back, able to get revenge on Rusev/Summer Rae, after they had Lana in the Accolade. It also addressed his return on Raw. Lana was also okay here, when they weren’t all “lovey-dovey.” Good cue for Rusev/Summer to interrupt and Rusev put forth some descriptive threats. The back-and-forth was okay here, but it didn’t do much else to hype the overall match. Kind of want to get this one over and done with.
– The Bo Dallas-Neville match screamed “glorified squash” with the big celebrity tag match at SummerSlam. We could’ve seen the post-match Stardust/”Cosmic” King Barrett promo coming from a mile away, but nonetheless, it served as fair hype. The imagery was all cool, retaining that comic book-esque flavor. Kind of makes us want a long-term Stardust/Barrett tag team.
– The Triple Threat Divas match between Brie Bella, Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks started with a Team Bella promo that didn’t lack in confidence from Nikki, as they took credit for the “Divas Revolution.” Team BAD interrupted and the back-and-forth between those two was okay, though seemed somewhat forced and badly acted on the Bellas’ end. Becky Lynch/Charlotte interrupted and it was straight to the match. The match was okay with better in-ring work than we’ve seen on previous Smackdowns, but ultimately nothing memorable besides Brie getting the victory. Still means nothing in reference to this big SummerSlam match.
– The Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose/Randy Orton/Cesaro backstage promo had all the guys carry on messages to beating their rivals. They have a natural chemistry so it was good to see some form of hype.
– The Orton/Reigns/Ambrose/Cesaro-Kevin Owens/Sheamus/Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper eight-man tag main event was just a fun, entertaining bout that allowed for nothing but time-filling action. Served as a preview of sorts for all the SummerSlam matches respectively and the plentiful TV time helped accentuate that. The finishing sequence was also great, leading to Ambrose getting the pin on Harper.
- Ryback and The Big Show to a double countout
- Six-Being Tag Match – The New Day def. Los Matadores/El Torito via pinfall
- Neville def. Bo Dallas via pinfall
- Triple-Threat – Brie Bella (w/Nikki Bella, Alicia Fox) def. Becky Lynch (w/Charlotte) and Sasha Banks (w/Naomi, Tamina) via pinfall
- Eight-Man Tag Match – Randy Orton/Cesaro/Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose def. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Kevin Owens/Sheamus via pinfall
Posted on August 20, 2015, in WWE and tagged Alicia Fox, Becky Lynch, Bo Dallas, Bray Wyatt, Brie Bella, Cesaro, Charlotte, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, El Torito, Kevin Owens, King Barrett, Lana, Los Matadores, Luke Harper, Naomi, Neville, Nikki Bella, Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, Rusev, Ryback, Sasha Banks, Sheamus, Stardust, Summer Rae, SummerSlam, Tamina, The Big Show, The New Day. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.