Notes In Observance – WWE Smackdown 8/13/15: The Champ Goes On And On And On…
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
The Champ Goes On And On And On…
– The show started with WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins coming to the ring (how many times have we wrote that this year?) as he bragged being great, “taming the viper, heroically escaping that pathetic excuse of a Money In The Bank cash-in and bringing down to earth the man gravity forgot.” All good stuff, which made sense for him to embellish. He also addressed John Cena accepting his challenge on Tough Enough, making the SummerSlam “Champion vs. Champion” match official. He hyped up a face-to-face segment with Cena on the next week’s Raw. Neville interrupted and confronted Rollins, bringing up the logical loopholes that Rollins selectively omitted from his diatribe. He also noted that Rollins was never able to kick out of The Red Arrow, also saying that Rollins was going “on and on and on.” He fit in the segment because of their Raw encounter. Cesaro came out and was talking the same, when Kevin Owens ambushed him from behind, while Rollins powerbombed Neville into the turnbuckle. Interesting start that likely culminates in a tag match. Shocker.
– The Charlotte-Naomi match was an exact repeat of last week, down to the exact same players minus Paige. Not that great of a match, with the story being that Naomi dominated for a good portion until Charlotte knocked her out of the ring, taking out Tamina and Banks, leaving Naomi victim to the Figure Eight for the win. This is all to push the three-team elimination match at SummerSlam. Though Charlotte is racking up submission wins, it doesn’t feel like she has much momentum.
– Intercontinental Champion Ryback’s in-ring promo put over winning the Title at Elimination Chamber and overcoming a staph infection that took him out of action. Good promo to rally the crowd behind his emotional story, looking at his perspective headed into the triple threat defense against The Miz and The Big Show.
– The Luke Harper-Roman Reigns match started with a Harper promo, putting himself over as “holy,” as Wyatt took over with religious overtones. Ambrose interrupted and said he didn’t have much to say but wanted to talk with his fists. Fits the feud. The match itself was decent, though overshadowed by all the outside commotion, though that was by design to hype the “family vs family” aspect of their upcoming match. Reigns basically had Harper out when Wyatt interfered for the DQ. An all-out brawl ensued after, being the beginning of a “war.” Good storyline progression.
– Sheamus’ backstage promo addressed his failed cash-in attempt, saying he was about to usher in “the era of real men,” and compared Randy Orton to the Terminator. More stuff to hype their rivalry and that “a brighter future was a brogue kick away.” Sheamus’ heel run has been a welcome change for his character, but fans are still not too receptive to the idea that he’s Championship material at the moment.
– The Xavier Woods/Big E-Prime Time Players match started with a PTP boxed promo that sadly relied upon corny comedy yet again. The action wasn’t too flashy, as New Day did their usual shenanigans, but the story here was Los Matadores and Lucha Dragons preventing New Day from walking out of the match, leaving Woods (who sold the moment with his facial expression) prey for Darren Young’s gut check finisher for the win. Okay moment, better for the SummerSlam multi-tag match hype, which is essentially what it’s all about.
– The Neville/Cesaro-Rollins/Owens main event tag match wasn’t badly wrestled by any means, but was also a bit of a letdown, despite the heel victory. Post-match saw Rollins leave Owens to get attacked by the other two. This had a “throwaway” vibe to it, though they could follow up on this at Raw. Guess we’ll see.
- Charlotte (w/Becky Lynch) def. Naomi (w/Sasha Banks, Tamina) via submission
- Roman Reigns (w/Dean Ambrose) def. Luke Harper (w/Bray Wyatt) via DQ
- The Prime Time Players def. Xavier Woods/Big E (w/Kofi Kingston) via pinfall
- Seth Rollins/Kevin Owens def. Cesaro/Neville via pinfall
Posted on August 18, 2015, in WWE and tagged Becky Lynch, Big E, Bray Wyatt, Cesaro, Charlotte, Dean Ambrose, El Torito, Jerry Lawler, Jimmy Uso, Kevin Owens, Kofi Kingston, Los Matadores, Luke Harper, Naomi, Neville, Roman Reigns, Ryback, Sasha Banks, Seth Rollins, Sheamus, SummerSlam, Tamina, The Lucha Dragons, The Prime Time Players, Tom Phillips, Xavier Woods. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.