Notes In Observance – Lucha Underground 6/10/15: Return Of The Banished One
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
Return Of The Banished One
– The opening video did a good job of summing up the two biggest storylines that would be delved into deeper; Dario Cueto and Chavo Guerrero Jr. working together to capture Black Lotus and the disappearance of Drago.
– Definitely like the new side of Drago, as he came off very Batman-esque from how he posed on the roof of the temple with his wings side-by-side.
– We got development with the announcement that Sexy Star was out for two weeks due to the actions of Pentagon Jr. and it was also interesting how Vampiro apologized to the fans at home for reacting the way he did, referring to his role only as a broadcaster. This almost surely plants the seeds for a Vampire-Pentagon Jr. match, maybe at this Ultimo Lucha event?
– Speaking of Ultimo Lucha, Cueto did a good job of riling up the TV viewers and crowd alike announcing how this was basically the Lucha Underground equivalent of WrestleMania and that a match on this week’s show would help build that show’s Title match, with all who received title shots against Prince Puma fighting in one match; Cage, King Cuerno and Hernandez. This was also an appropriate set-up to the return of Blue Demon Jr. to TV, as the crowd reacted big to this. This was Cueto being Cueto though, as it only led to him announcing Guerrero Jr. along with Cortez Castro and Mr. Cisco in an “anything goes” match to put it in his boys’ favor. The match was basically a glorified squash to make Chavo and The Crew appear strong. Okay for what it was.
– The Black Lotus-Chavo interaction backstage was decent in terms of progressing the storyline, as Black Lotus told Chavo her true feelings towards his betrayal while he claimed he was living his namesake. Black Lotus promising Chavo that Mexico would make him pay was interesting. Is it a country going after him or a person?
– Loved the reemergence of Drago in the way that he backed Cueto into a corner and begged for an opportunity to be able to fight Puma for the title again, pointing to the loophole that got him banished in the first place. This made the main event even better with the insertion of Drago and the stipulation that he’d lose his mask in addition to future banishment in case of a loss added to it all.
– The Trios match between Disciples Of Death and Mascarita Sagrada/Pimparnela Escarlata/Bengala was a match that you’d look on the card and think it’d be a squash in the favor of the newly debuted Disciples while the face team had an impressive debut from Bengala (Cat-Tiger Man if you will) and Pimparnela is always entertaining in her own way. The finish of the match involving Catrina getting the lick of death was solid for the heels.
– The Johnny Mundo-Cueto backstage segment was a solid way to hype next week’s stellar-sounding Iron Man main event between Mundo and Puma for the Lucha Underground Championship and also put some perspective on the “work in progress” relationship with Cueto and Mundo, as he was impressed by Mundo’s new attitude and aggression. It’s going to be great already. We can just tell. At the same time, we could very well be looking at the end of Puma’s reign.
– The Ultimo Lucha Number One Contender’s match between Cage, Hernandez, Drago and King Cuerno had a unique dynamic in it and it was definitely entertaining. At the same time, the returning Drago was way over with the crowd. The action wasn’t over-the-top, but the broadcast team did a good job of establishing the two “paces” of the match. Liked the mutual respect that Cage and Cuerno had for each other in the match. Given that Drago’s return was the theme of the show. it was only fitting that he’d stand tall and victorious with this revamped look. The standoff with Puma was appropriate.
– Catrina vying for Mil Muertes getting a title shot to Cueto made sense from where she comes from and if anything, Mil Muertes only adds to the intrigue of the main event scene at Lucha Underground and we’ll quickly see that take form in two weeks.
– Anything Goes – Chavo Guerrero Jr. (w/Cortez Castro, Mr. Cisco) def. Blue Demon Jr. via pinfall
– Trios Match – The Disciples Of Death (w/Catrina) def. Bengala/Pimparnela Escarlata/Mascarita Sagrada via pinfall
– Ultimo Lucha Number One Contender’s Match – Drago def. Hernandez, Cage and King Cuerno via pinfall
Posted on June 13, 2015, in Lucha Underground and tagged Black Lotus, Blue Demon Jr., Cage, Catrina, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Cortez Castro, Dario Cueto, Drago, Hernandez, Johnny Mundo, King Cuerno, Mascarita Sagrada, Matt Striker, Mr. Cisco, Pimparnela Escarlata, The Disciples Of Death, Vampiro. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.