Notes In Observance – Lucha Underground 5/27/15: Life After Death
“Notes In Observance” features random thoughts and analysis on recent television shows. Quick results can be found at the bottom of the post.
Life After Death
– The opening video solidly previewed the upcoming death match between Mil Muertes and Fenix as well as the Lucha Underground Championship match between Prince Puma and Hernandez, also mixing in the newest threat of one Johnny Mundo.
– The Angela Fong-Chavo Guerrero Jr. segment was okay for what it was, as you got the sense that Chavo was trying to manipulate her from the get-go, planting a supposed seed of hate between the Guerreros and the Cuetos.
– The Aerostar-Johnny Mundo match was a platform to showcase Mundo’s attitude change while also making Aerostar look strong with his athleticism. The little things about Mundo made all the difference here, from his assertive cockiness to rough nature. Mundo not shockingly got the win and his new style was put over as a bigger threat now. Also liked how they tied the World Title into the motivation for his turn.
– We have to applaud these Vampiro Interview Segments, as it almost gives off a “no-holds barred” vibe into getting to know the thoughts and background of several characters. Using Sexy Star this time around was unique, yet effective in making her come across as a determined fighter out to break gender stereotypes and stand up for her beliefs against Pentagon Jr.’s “evil” methods. This also built up her submission match with Pentagon Jr. next week very well by giving us the hook that she’d pull out her technical style never seen before. Also liked how she addressed not hearing from Super Fly since he was unmasked.
– The Lucha Underground Championship match between Hernandez and Prince Puma was branded headed in as Hernandez’s biggest career match to date and was treated accordingly. The action went back and forth as you’d expect and was entertaining as Konnan even got into it. How did the referee not hear the chair shot though? The barricade jump spot came off a little bit choreographed, but was fun regardless. The action down the stretch had some intense near-falls and it looked very much like Puma gutted out a strong win. The arguments between Striker and Vampiro over Konnan’s management style actually enhanced the match too.
– The death match between Mil Muertes and Fenix pretty much picked up where Grave Consequences left off, showing off the sheer brutality between both men as they lit up the temple once more. Loved the added emphasis on Muertes’ darker demeanor, with three disciples added to ringside with Catrina. Fenix looked extremely tough, resorting to desperate aerial maneuvers to combat the revived one, but ultimately to no avail. The Powerbomb spot through the storage room roof was downright brutal stuff and loved that it added a sense of uncertainty to the match ending itself. This was all to set up Muertes’ final pinfall, which Catrina sealed the deal with her lick of death. Now we are left to wonder how Fenix comes back against him or who else could take down this new stronger Muertes.
– The final segment wasn’t without its shock and grisly nature, as Dario Cueto pretty much had The Crew pay for their losses, with Bael getting thrown up to the cage bars where his brother was and paid the ultimate sacrifice, or maybe had his face eaten off? With this Lucha Underground universe, maybe Bael will come back as a Disciple Demon of sorts. Who knows? Either way, this was still very entertaining and the ending image of Cueto and the remaining Crew members with Bael’s blood splatter will be one that sticks around for a while.
– Johnny Mundo def. Aerostar via pinfall
– Lucha Underground Championship – Prince Puma (Champion) (w/Konnan) def. Hernandez via pinfall to retain
– Death Match – Mil Muertes (w/Catrina, Three Disciples) def. Fenix via pinfall
Posted on May 29, 2015, in Lucha Underground and tagged Aerostar, Angela Fong, Bael, Catrina, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Dario Cueto, Fenix, Hernandez, Johnny Mundo, Konnan, Matt Striker, Mil Muertes, Prince Puma, Sexy Star, The Crew, Three Disciples, Vampiro. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.