Notes In Observance – WWE Smackdown 4/23/15: Before Things Get Too Extreme
Before Things Get Too Extreme
– The first segment with Seth Rollins, J & J Security and Kane continued the trend of Rollins talking himself into trouble, all while downplaying Randy Orton – pointing out he won’t have the RKO at Extreme Rules. Rollins took some good vocal shots at Kane, who in turn booked an immediate match with Rollins, threatening him to lay down for him, only to make it a “joke,” instead booking him to face Dean Ambrose.
This was good in that it showed Kane using advantages in both power and mind over Rollins.
– The Ambrose-Rollins “match” already had Luke Harper out on the assault, with Rollins and J & J Security beating him down. Roman Reigns made the save, which predictably set up a Reigns/Ambrose-Rollins/Harper main event match. Does every Smackdown main event match turn out to be an impromptu tag?
– The Dolph Ziggler/Neville-Bad News Barrett/Sheamus match was preceded by a decent boxed promo from the faces that had Neville deliver his first line – short but convincingly. Sheamus also cut his usual promo cutting down his opponents. The match itself was very good, with everyone getting a chance to show off, especially Neville who shined with his offense in and out of the ring. Note that he also pinned Barrett after hitting the Red Arrow. Good stuff.
– Bray Wyatt’s dark promo was more encoded Drabble. Meh. He talked about a “Butterfly without wings.” The Divas Championship is a butterfly… Maybe he will vow to take down the Bella Twins and lead the Divas division? Probably not.
– The Natalya-Naomi match was a last attempt to make Naomi look strong as she heads into Extreme Rules. It seems as if The Bella Twins are now positioned as babyfaces with everybody else retired or injured, so the dynamic is interesting, but at least Naomi has gotten a good heel push out of it – just change her music and finisher and we’ll be good.
– Oh no… The Prime Time Players cut another cringe-inducing promo on the Tag Team Champions. Thought we were past this…
– The Lana/Rusev promo hyped the Russian Chain match pretty well, as far as Lana/Rusev standards. The match that followed with Ryback was a lot like their Smackdown match not too long ago – competitive and entertaining, until Rusev used the chain on Ryback, which was perfectly fine here because it made him look like a beast sending a “message” to John Cena.
– Rollins being walked backstage by J & J Security was funny as they ran into Luke Harper, who played the silent madman perfectly, saying he was solely focused on destroying Ambrose. Jamie Noble explaining his family history connecting to Harper was random and hilarious.
– The New Day promo was again led by Big E and Xavier Woods, saying everybody lacked positivity, a “plague” in the WWE Universe. They continue to be condescending and it works. The match that followed between Kingston-Cesaro was okay though a bit short to be anything spectacular, mainly noted for Kingston getting the nod, taking advantage of distractions allowed by his partners. This likely means Kidd/Cesaro go over at Extreme Rules.
– Big Show’s “earlier tonight” promo hyped their match at Extreme Rules, carrying on what he’s been saying lately. Nothing new.
– The Rollins/Harper-Ambrose/Reigns match was really good, especially in the finishing minutes. Considering who was in the match, it shouldn’t be a shock to see these guys work a quick pace so graciously. Also liked that you couldn’t tell what Kane was doing for or against Rollins and it leaves a question mark as far as Extreme Rules.
– Dolph Ziggler/Neville def. Sheamus/Bad News Barrett via pinfall
– Naomi def. Natalya via pinfall
– Ryback def. Rusev (w/Lana) via DQ
– Kofi Kingston (w/Xavier Woods, Big E) def. Cesaro (w/Tyson Kidd) via pinfall
– Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose def. Luke Harper/Seth Rollins (w/J & J Security) via pinfall
Posted on April 24, 2015, in WWE and tagged Bad News Barrett, Big E, Bray Wyatt, Byron Saxton, Cesaro, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, J & J Security, Jerry Lawler, Kane, Kofi Kingston, Lana, Luke Harper, Naomi, Natalya, Neville, Roman Reigns, Rusev, Ryback, Seth Rollins, Sheamus, The Big Show, The New Day, The Prime Time Players, Tom Phillips, Tyson Kidd, Xavier Woods. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.