Notes In Observance – Lucha Underground 4/22/15: An Unlikely Triumph
An Unlikely Triumph
– The opening video recapped the happenings of the Trios Tournament, Sexy Star saving Ring Announcer Melissa Santos from Pentagon Jr. and Angelico/Ivelisse/Son Of Havoc advancing. This was a good set up of what was to come.
– Angela Fong continues to intrigue us. Her latest vignette showed her in a cinematic action flick-esque montage of being trained yet deemed still not ready. This was all Robert Rodriguez here, but this is where Lucha Underground gets away with it all. He has a way of making anything look cool and badass.
– The Sexy Star-Pentagon Jr. match was a nice clash – with Pentagon bringing the harsh kicks and Sexy Star being the scrappy fighter, actually pulling off the victory. Pentagon sold his anger after the bell great. We have to believe this won’t be their last match. It’s been a fun ride in this feud thus far. When will the master be revealed? That’s a question we need to ask as well.
– The interaction backstage between Alberto El Patron and Johnny Mundo seemed like it was setting up something in the future. Patron made some comments about Mundo always “coming so close to the brass ring, yet failing” and claimed he was just yanking his chain. Mundo was uptight here, but it was because Patron came off as the old-fashioned heel we know all too well.
– The 3-Way Elimination Match between Texano/King Cuerno/Cage, Son Of Havoc/Ivelisse/Angelico and Big Ryck/The Mack/Killshot was notable for the high-stakes offense. The introduction of Shawn Daivari onto the show – having Texano shoved onto him – was well-done. Texano was pinned afterwards, as this gave him and his team an out for losing. This had the unlikely trio emerge the initial Championship winners, until Dario Cueto introduced The Crew as the final team in the tournament in a no disqualification match. Makes sense, as that’s right from Cueto’s playbook. That was a great story though as this allowed the fans to fully embrace the unlikely trio. The coolest spot of all might’ve happened there with Angelico’s insane dive from the top wall into the ring. This trio team getting the nod was an excellent moment. Was it also a possible turn for Ivelisse? Maybe not, but it was well-sold by Striker, who acknowledged the strengths of each competitor and made it feel historic. What was telling was how Ivelisse and Son Of Havoc quickly snapped their arms away form each other after raising them in victory, still keeping the dysfunction fresh. This was their moment in the series so far though.
– Sexy Star def. Pentagon Jr. via pinfall
– 3-Way Elimination Match – Son Of Havoc/Ivelisse/Angelico def. Big Ryck/Killshot/The Mack and Cage/King Cuerno/Texano
– Trios Tag Team Championships – Son Of Havoc/Ivelisse/Angelico def. The Crew to become new Champions
Posted on April 24, 2015, in Lucha Underground and tagged Alberto El Patron, Angela Fong, Big Ryck, Cage, Johnny Mundo, Killshot, Matt Striker, Melissa Santos, Pentagon Jr., Sexy Star, Shawn Daivari, Texano, The Crew, The Mack, Vampiro. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.