Notes In Observance – Lucha Underground 2/11/15: The Revolution Begins
The Revolution Begins
– The interaction between Alberto El Patron and Dario Cueto in Cueto’s office was a decent way to set up Patron’s eventual debut in-ring promo. It could’ve been looked at as him as the next big heel out to do Cueto’s dirty work, but it turned out to be the opposite.
– The Argenis-Fenix match seemed to go through the motions as friendly competition until Catrina made her appearance in the stands, cheering Fenix on “in silence.” From that point, Fenix winning was predictable. Catrina made herself seductive as she gave the “Lick Of Death” on Argenis for Fenix, something she previously did for Mil Muertes. Transition style match that will lead to some kind of interaction between Catrina, Muertes and Fenix down the road.
– The scene between Mil Muertes and Catrina in the cell with the up-close shot of Catrina’s shoes off the ground, suggesting she was being held by her throat may had been a bit on the misogynistic side, but it made sense with their relationship. Chavo Guerrero coming into the shot to be assaulted being told he’d pay his debt was an interesting development that we can assume will be settled… next week.
– The “confession” segment with Big Ryck was a creative way to show his yearning for payback on The Crew. Of course with the eyepatch, he now looks like a bootleg Nick Fury, but it follows the continuity of the storyline perfectly that makes us want to see how he follows through with that promise.
– Son Of Havoc’s pre-match promo set forward his love of Ivelisse and having some “real competition.” This led into the match well and made Havoc appear confident, as if this may be the first time he gets a big win.
– The Johnny Mundo-Havoc match was given enough time to please and told a good story. Havoc was surprisingly over with the fans, who wouldn’t have minded a victory from him here, but with the recent storyline being his “struggle,” it wasn’t likely. The finish was good in capturing this – that Havoc took too long to go for his finisher trying to impress Ivelisse and it cost him, which likely makes Ivelisse more angry. The postmatch attack by King Cuerno on Mundo also put Cuerno over well.
– The Ricky Mandel-Pentagon Jr. Match showcased more of Pentagon Jr’s darker side, wanting to impress his “master.” Mandel had no chance here, so it was pretty much the same as last week, which kept Pentagon’s momentum going. It’s over with the crowd too. The reveal of the “master” will be interesting down the road.
– The El Patron in-ring promo definitely had the fans go crazy, as he played the fan favorite. The attack by El Texano Jr. which carried over their AAA feud was random, but it’ll be cool to see what comes from this on an American platform. For Lucha Underground itself, say someone like Cage could’ve gotten over big with the spot of attacking El Patron, but alas, what we got was still good enough to roll with.
– Fenix def. Argenis via pinfall
– Johnny Mundo def. Son Of Havoc (w/Ivelisse) via pinfall
– Pentagon Jr. def. Ricky Mandel via submission
Posted on February 12, 2015, in Lucha Underground and tagged Alberto El Patron, Argenis, Big Ryck, Catrina, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Dario Cueto, El Texano Jr., Fenix, Ivelisse, Johnny Mundo, Mil Muertes, Son Of Havoc, The Crew. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.