Notes In Observance – WWE Smackdown 1/9/15: Wink, Wink
– The opening video was basically the same that played at the beginning of Main Event, with Cena bringing back The Authority and Erick Rowan, Dolph Ziggler and Ryback getting fired another 47 times. Seeing it live was enough.
– The opening segment with Seth Rollins and Joey Mercury/Jamie Noble (J & J Security), Kane, The Big Show and Roman Reigns did its job in terms of setting up the main event and allowed Rollins to take the spotlight as he gloated about the end of Raw – probably the only person to do so – and took credit for manipulating Cena to bring back The Authority. The crowd edits were a bit obvious. Since when does the name “Erick Rowan” incite an upbeat reaction? Rollins asking for a 10-bell salute to the three fired men got good heat, which cued Reigns. Their exchange was decent – but Reigns went for laughs, which didn’t work – despite the subtle wink that acknowledged the lameness of the promo. What did work, was his assault on Rollins. He is most effective when his words are minimal.
– The backstage segment with Kane and The Miz/Damien Mizdow where Miz proposed a match with just them against The Usos which messed up when Mizdow accidentally spilled water on Kane, created more tension between Mr. Hollywood and his stunt double. Face turn imminent.
– The Adam Rose (w/Rosebuds, Cesaro/Tyson Kidd)-Big E (w/Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods) match was lackluster mid card action. The New Day act sucks and still gets no reaction. Big E won with the Big Ending.
– The Ascension promo was more crapping on past tag teams, namely ones they take after. This was the exact same promo from Raw. Again. No need to drill it in our brains, guys. The subsequent squash match was more of the same as we’ve seen before. Announcers continue to also discredit The Ascension, which only keeps them looked at as posers, despite being undefeated against four squash tag teams.
– The backstage promo with The Usos focused on the end of Raw and showing they were determined with the odds against them. Decent stuff.
– The Alicia Fox-Naomi match carried on their feud. Naomi cut a decent promo on Fox in the little box on the corner. Fox won using the ropes after a sloppy finishing sequence.
– The highlights shown of Triple H talking about the firings mentioned Sting and the “heroes” and made it sound like Cena turned on them. Usual stuff at this point.
– Good for them to show highlights from the ambulance match. The subsequent promo with Bray Wyatt talking like he got the better of Ambrose and “a new journey” and mentioned the Royal Rumble. So, what happens for him between now and then?
– The Tag Team Championship triple threat match with The Usos (Champs)-Stardust/Goldust-The Miz/Damien Mizdow was good for TV. The action picked up a bit once things left the ring. Stardust/Goldust looked good here particularly. The Usos retained as Goldust took the pin after the Splash.
– The Bad News Barrett promo was good for heat as he called out Ziggler for a rematch knowing he was “fired” and announced his Royal Rumble entry. His following match with Sin Cara screamed, “glorified squash material” and that’s what it seemed would happen, but Sin Cara actually pinned Barrett clean. Way to give Barrett momentum, besides the post match beatdown.
– More replays of the reactions from Ziggler, Rowan and Ryback being fired.
– The Seth Rollins/Big Show-Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose match provided a memorable moment in the image of seeing all of the former Shield members in a match once again. Ambrose was actually the perfect guy for the spot and his popularity could “rub off” on Reigns a bit more. Also to its credit, the match could have gone either way. Things got good down the stretch and Reigns scored the pin over Rollins after a spear after Ambrose took out the rest of the Authority. Clearly, this will be addressed on Raw.
– Big E (w/Kofi Kingston, Xavier Woods) def. Adam Rose (w/Rosebuds, Tyson Kidd/Cesaro) via pinfall
– The Ascension def. Two Local Jobbers via pinfall
– Alicia Fox def. Naomi via pinfall
– Tag Team Championships – The Usos (Champions) def. Goldust/Stardust and The Miz/Damien Mizdow via pinfall to retain
– Sin Cara def. Bad News Barrett via pinfall
– Roman Reigns/Dean Ambrose def. The Big Show/Seth Rollins (w/Jamie Noble, Joey Mercury, Kane) via pinfall
Posted on January 11, 2015, in WWE and tagged Adam Rose, Alicia Fox, Bad News Barrett, Big E, Bray Wyatt, Cesaro, Corporate Kane, Damien Mizdow, Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler, Goldust, Jamie Noble, Joey Mercury, John Cena, Kofi Kingston, Naomi, Roman Reigns, Rosebuds, Ryback, Seth Rollins, Sin Cara, Stardust, The Ascension, The Big Show, The Miz, The Usos, Triple H, Tyson Kidd, Xavier Woods. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.